p {text-indent: 12px;}
"That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon and touched with our hands, con
cerning the word of life -- the life was made manifest, and we saw it, and testify to it ...." I John 1:1-2 (RSV)

"After his resurrection the disciples saw the living Christ, whom they knew to have died, with the eyes of faith (oculata fide)." Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica, III, 55, 2 ad 1, as quoted in D. M. Stanley, Jesus in Gethsemane (New York, Paulist Press 1980).

Monday, August 27, 2012

Take Shelter - Walter Brueggemann

I try to keep my eyes open, not just for words that can a change person, but for images.  This certainly is an apocalyptic image –which I found  here  -  but we don't know where it's from.  (If anyone recognizes this please let me know and I will place it and give credit.)  This pic says that  something big is going to happen.  It reminds me of the film Take Shelter with Michael Shannon and Jessica Chastain.  The Bible is no different.  We  hear the readings from the Gospels week after week, and if we are tired we yawn.  That's a shame, because something big is happening in the Gospels.

More and more I see that we can't fully recognize  the the shock of Jesus' entry into the world without study of the OT.  That's why I'm doing a slow and careful  reading of  Walter Brueggemann's 1982 commentary on  Genesis.   It is the best OT commentary that I have ever read. A slow reading means I read the chapter from Genesis, then read two or three pages from Brueggemann's book, and think about it.  After that,  I look up all of the Bible verses he cites and which he quotes from, first from the Genesis text, and then from other parts of the Bible.  And I am having a great time taking notes in a paper (not computer) notebook.    Brueggemann's main theme for me is:  The Lord is passionate about accomplishing his purposes, even if his ways are mysterious and surprising.  I will have several more posts about Brueggemann's book.

No comments:

Post a Comment