p {text-indent: 12px;}
"That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon and touched with our hands, con
cerning the word of life -- the life was made manifest, and we saw it, and testify to it ...." I John 1:1-2 (RSV)

"After his resurrection the disciples saw the living Christ, whom they knew to have died, with the eyes of faith (oculata fide)." Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica, III, 55, 2 ad 1, as quoted in D. M. Stanley, Jesus in Gethsemane (New York, Paulist Press 1980).

Monday, January 27, 2014

St. Theresa of Avila - the Hands and Feet of Jesus

Text of remarks made at Holy Family Catholic Church, Fond du Lac, Wisconsin,  at the conclusion of January 27, 2014  funeral Mass for Kathleen (McCabe) Schuessler Pedi   - 
who was born February 14, 1926, and born to eternal life January 24, 2014

I would like to thank two people, my sister Julie who took care of Kathleen in 1979 after our father died.  You set aside your own life to care for your mother when she needed help.  Thank you so much.   And I thank my sister, Jeanne, for taking the lead in caring for Kathleen the last five years when she was at Hillside Manor Nursing Home, as she declined with her Parkinson’s condition.  We are so grateful.
Kathleen, ten years ago
May I please take you back to a time,  more than 50, almost 60  years ago when my mother,  Kathleen,  was having her children.  And she had eight of us.  She always said, "I have five beautiful daughters, and three fine sons."   But here I would like to go back to those first years, and then to what I'll call the  St. Joseph School era in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin.  (Kathleen also attended St. Joseph School in the 1930's.)   I see in this new beautiful Holy Family Church pieces from  the old St. Joseph stained glass windows that I used to stare at as a  child at  daily Mass which all of us school children attended. I see today the amazing scene of the birth of Jesus and the Magi over here [to my left], and the ascension of Jesus over here [to right].    Will you please use your imagination and go back with me to this great time of our lives.  
St.  Theresa of Avila said this:
Christ  has no body but yours,
No hands, no feet on earth but yours,
Yours are the eyes with which he looks
Yours are the feet with which he walks to do good,
Yours are the hands, with which he blesses …
Yours are the hands, yours are the feet ....

             Today I say to you that hers was the body.  Hers were the hands.  Hers were the feet.   And hers  were the eyes, those beautiful Irish eyes.  Yes, she danced with her feet, and played violin with her hands.   But for us it was much more.    When we were so little that we  didn’t know anything about  Jesus, Kathleen was like Mother Theresa to us. Kathleen  was the only Jesus that we had.  Here are two examples:  
            When Christine was two she almost died from  pneumonia. Christine was so sick that she got very tiny. That's how Kathleen gave her the nickname, "the wee one."   But Kathleen nursed her back to health.
            The earliest memory of my entire life came from  our Marr Street house in Fond du Lac.  You won’t believe this, but I remember from my crib, when I was no more than two years old, waking up to this baby Mary crying, and  who would not stop crying.   We have all heard of those weeks and months when  Mary would not stop crying.  And picture this for Kathleen.  She is a young mother of about 30, with this crying baby, and with a two year old and a three year old, and she is pregnant with Christine.   Many moms would lose their cool facing this, would be overwhelmed.   But Kathleen did not lose her cool.  She loved that baby Mary, and she held her in her arms night after night,  to where she finally stopped crying.  Kathleen did not just survive those years of young motherhood.  She thrived on those challenges.  She loved that time of her life.   
            It’s freezing cold today, 8 below zero outside.   To my memory, the weather  was always like it is today  in January when we were small – below zero.  But if this were 1965 we would have been playing tackle pom pom on the St. Joseph school playground today.  Yes, our teachers (Sisters of St. Agnes)  let us play.   They would let the snow stay on parts of the concrete schoolyard, and we stormed out there at recess and got it  packed down from playing  those running and tackling games on it.  We also played king of the hill on the snow piles created by the plowed snow.   What does this have to do with Kathleen?   She had to get all the gear for us – the coats, those face mask ski hats, the mittens and gloves, and help us load it all on every day, so that we could get out and walk to school two blocks away, and be prepared to handle those wonderful school recess periods out in the cold.     There were 700 of us baby boomers crammed into St. Joseph School.  The sisters had to let us out.  My best memory of those days with Kathleen was the oatmeal.     The hot oatmeal that Kathleen made every morning  helped a lot when it was 13, 14, 15 below zero, and we had to get to school.
            Kathleen  rarely raised her voice.  We lived in a giant old house 136 Sheboygan Street and  the eight of us would be spread out all over it, in different spots.  (Thanks to my brother Jim, who made arrangements with the owner,  we are going to go through that house later today.)  Christine was usually  in the study “den” with her two imaginary friends, named Cottie and Cootie.   But when mom called for you, she  wouldn’t shout for you.  She would quietly go to you and ask you to take out the garbage or clean the kitchen.   There was no yelling.   Even when John and I were playing catch in the dining room and  broke the Jesus statue she didn’t yell.  She just cried, and then she forgave us.   
            When we had some trouble in our house,  at about age eight I could sense it and was bothered by it.   In the middle of this I  remember asking  Kathleen, “Mom, what was the best time of your life?”  She said, “Right now is pretty good.”  About two years later, again some things were going wrong, and I went to Kathleen again and said, “Mom, tell me, what was the best time of your life?”  She said, “I would say right now is good.”   Fr. Tom talked about that in his tremendous homily.  Thinking of that raises this question:  Was Kathleen Pollyanna?  No, she was not Pollyanna.   She was gifted with the ability to endure suffering with composure.   
            As everyone has been saying over the last couple of weeks, nursing home staff included,  Kathleen was all about sacrificial  love, the eyes, hands and feet of love which St. Theresa described.   My sister Julie said, “She lived  a quiet kind of love. “
On that subject of what love means, I will close with this, which was Kathleen’s  personal teaching  to me.   We were at Schreiners Restaurant, Kathleen and I, and  Jeanne and Christine were there with us.   It was May, 1980, just a couple of days before I would be getting married.  My sisters were looking straight at me, to make sure that I was listening to what Kathleen was going to say to me about how I needed to treat my beautiful new bride, Katy.  Kathleen’s words were simple.    She said to me,  “Tom, be kind,  be kind.”
                                                                                                              Tom Schuessler
                                                                                                                          January 27, 2014



No comments:

Post a Comment